Paying for KU TPE
KU TPE is a Comprehensive Transition Program, which allows qualified students to obtain federal financial aid in the form of:
Federal Direct Student Loans and PLUS Loans are not available.
Financial Aid Resources:
- KU Financial Aid & Scholarships
- First Time FAFSA Tutorial
- Schedule an appointment with KU Financial Aid: 785-864-4700
Completing the FAFSA
- Students and their families must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) in order to determine financial aid eligibility.
- Make sure to check the box for Work Study while applying.
- The FAFSA application opens in early October each year. Keep up with the latest information about financial aid by watching the KU Financial Aid & Scholarships website.
- December 1 is the priority deadline for applying for financial aid for the 2022-23 school year.
*IMPORTANT*: The FAFSA will ask, What degree or certificate will you be working on when you begin the 2022-23 school year?
Select: Certificate/diploma (occupational/technical/education program of at least 2 years). See sample image below.
Resources on scholarships for students with intellectual disability.
- Ruby's Rainbow Scholarship
- Scholarships and Financial Aid for Students with Disabilities
- Scholarships and Resources for Students with Disabilities
- Scholarship Search Platform and Guide
- Additional Scholarships
KU TPE also encourages students and families to explore local financial aid opportunities. Here are a few ways to do so.
- Contact your high school guidance counselor and ask about scholarship databases and searches
- Look in your community. Often, local organizations such as rotary clubs, churches, and service organizations provide financial support for students.