Here are a variety of helpful resources on college for students with intellectual disability.
Think College is a one-stop-shop for all things related to college and students with intellectual disability.
Students with Intellectual Disability Think College Too!
Preparing for College
Preparation to attend college must start early and takes a team effort! Whether you are a student, a parent, a teacher, VR counselor or case manager, these resources will be helpful as you prepare a student with intellectual disability to go to college.
- Think College Transition Checklist
- Think College & Career Ready Learning Plan
- Preparing for Postsecondary Life
- Pocket Résumé
Resources specifically for parents and families.
- PACER: Preparing for Postsecondary Education
- What to Know About the Transition to Postsecondary Education for Students with Intellectual Disabilities
Advice from a Parent
ABLE National Resource Center
ABLE National Resource Center can help you save for college! The ABLE Act for 2014 gives families the ability to establish tax-advantaged savings accounts for individuals with disabilities. Here’s one basic video about ABLE.
Resources on scholarships for students with intellectual disability.
- Ruby's Rainbow Scholarship
- Scholarships and Financial Aid for Students with Disabilities
- Scholarships and Resources for Students with Disabilities
- Scholarship Search Platform and Guide
- AAIDD Conference Scholarship - Deadline March 29th
A KU TPE student can be his/her own guardian or have a guardian. Here are some alternatives to explore.
- National Resource Center for Supported Decision-Making
- Texas Council for Developmental Disabilities Alternatives to Guardianship
- SCIL Guardianship &Alternatives to Guardianship
- American Association on Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities webinar
Additional KU TPE materials to consider before you arrive at KU.