KU TPE prepares students for integrated competitive employment. Graduates have a four times higher rate of paid employment than the national average for individuals with intellectual disability in the general population.
Students in KU TPE:
- Participate in jobs and career internships each semester
- Learn 21st Century Skills to be competitive in the job market
- Develop a career portfolio
- Learn about their career interests and preferences
Students use a variety of KU career resources, such as:
- KU Career Center
- KU ADA Resource Center for Equity and Accessibility
- Vocational Rehabilitation – Kansas Rehabilitation Services (KRS-VR)
- Independence Inc.
- Pocket Résumé
KU TPE staff support students in individualized career development following KU TPE’s Career Plan each semester.
Students work in a variety of internships during their time at KU. We connect with employers to find internships that align with student’s career interests.
- Hilltop Child Development Center
- Kansas Baseball
- Lawrence Arts Center
- KU Greenhouse
- Lawrence Montessori School
- KU Language Acquisitions Pre-School
- Lawrence Humane Society
- KU Center for Service Learning
- Boys and Girls Club of Lawrence
- Sabatini Multicultural Resource Center
- KU Natural History Museum
- Ambler Recreation Center
Employer Interested in Being a KU TPE Partner?
Learn about becoming an Employment Partner.